More companies than ever are making use of multimedia on their corporate websites and across their digital estate, according to the latest Investis IQ Rankings, released today. The IQ Rankings benchmark corporate websites and companies’ use of digital media, scoring them out of 100 for aspects including usability, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility (CSR), investor relations, use of mobile and use of social media. These changes, coupled with the ongoing growth in the number of companies offering a mobile solution, meant that every index previously benchmarked saw their overall average score increase.
Responding to the findings, Marcus Fergusson, Research Director at Investis, said:
“We saw a strong surge in the use of multimedia in Q2 when we benchmarked several indices with much smaller average market caps. These latest findings show that this was no flash in the pan. 70% of all companies benchmarked in the past year now have video on their corporate website and this figure is only set to grow.”
- The US NASDAQ 100 (average overall 46%) was scored for the first time – and comes last in every category for indices scored this quarter – except for social media where it beats the FTSE 100 and the Euronext 100.
- The NASDAQ 100 falls far behind two other indices scored for the first time this quarter: its rival exchange the NYSE US 100 averages 53% while the Euronext 100 averages 52%.
- The UK FTSE 100 was the most improved index (up 3.1%) but all other indices improved by more than 2% – with the exception of the Swedish OMXS 30, which saw more modest growth of just 0.8%.
- The German DAX 30 (63%) remains the best performing index globally. However, the FTSE 100 (57%) has closed the gap on the US Dow Jones (58%) and the Finnish OMXH 25 (62%) has closed the gap on the DAX 30.
- The DAX 30 leads in every category, with some exceptions. The OMXH 25 leads for IR, Governance and Media and the Dow Jones leads for Social Media.
- The most dramatic shift was in the 68% increase in the number of companies providing recruitment videos or an interactive recruitment tool – 42% of companies now do so, up from just 25% a year ago.
- 81% of companies with a corporate/IR app and 66% of companies with a mobile site show videos on them.
- 68% of companies now have a video gallery on their corporate website.
- 60% have a CSR or sustainability video.
- Nearly a third (31%) of corporate websites now have a video or interview discussing their results or overall strategy.
- Well over a third of companies (37%) video-webcast their results – while the percentage of companies audio webcasting (56%) fell slightly.
We score each index once every six months: this quarter Investis scored the UK FTSE 100; the US S&P 100, the Dow Jones I.A., the NASDAQ 100 and the NYSE US 100; the German DAX 30; the Finnish OMXH 25; and the Swedish OMXS 30.
The IQ survey was conducted in the third quarter of 2014 based on the current index constituents at the beginning of July. The IQ Ranking is the most comprehensive and authoritative of its kind, assessing nearly 200 criteria in measuring website quality and performance. Investis now scores more than 1,200 companies every six months, offering a unique view on the evolution of corporate websites for its clients and partners.
Top 20 companies scored this quarter:
|Company||Index||Overall||Index Rank||Change in Ranking|
|Royal Dutch Shell||FTSE 100||79||1||0|
|British Land||FTSE 100||72||5||+2|
|National Grid||FTSE 100||72||7||+23|
|Anglo American||FTSE 100||71||8||-2|
|Land Securities||FTSE 100||71||9||-1|
|Hewlett Packard||NYSE US 100||71||1||N/A|
|Metso Group||OMXH 25||71||3||-1|
|Deutsche Telekom||DAX 30||70||5||+8|
|Tullow Oil||FTSE 100||70||10||-1|
Investis Ltd. is an international digital corporate communications and investor relations company that works with approximately 1,900 clients from offices in six countries. The companies it serves include more than 70% of the constituents of the FTSE 100 and more than 150 US clients. Founded in 2000, Investis helps clients manage their corporate communications and investor relations through corporate websites, IR webhosting, social media, apps & mobile, video and webcasting, website tools and online reporting.