London, UK – October 20, 2014 – Investis, the international leader in digital corporate communications, announces the results of its first sector-specific review of the digital communications of oil and gas companies.
ENI, Royal Dutch Shell and BP came out top after Investis evaluated the digital presence of more than 50 listed upstream and integrated oil and gas companies. Investis’ research team examined corporate websites and companies’ use of digital media, scoring them out of 100 for aspects including usability, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility (CSR), investor relations, use of mobile and use of social media.
The Investis IQ 2014 report on the oil and gas sector found that ENI, the Italian oil & gas company, scored well across all metrics. ENI achieved a total score of 79 out of 100 but was particularly successful in the communication of its strategy, business model and investment proposition. Shell came second overall with BP at number three.
At the other end of the table, Delek Drilling, one of Israel’s largest companies scored 20, along with Avner Oil Exploration, another Israeli firm. Rice Energy was the lowest ranked US-listed company with a score of 22, while Soco International, a member of the FTSE250, was the lowest ranked company listed in the UK with a score of 28.
Other key findings:
- Four oil & gas companies (ENI, Royal Dutch Shell, BP and Statoil) appear in the top 10 of 1,400 companies scored globally for the quality of their digital presence
- Integrated oil and gas companies tend to score much more highly than upstream companies and are strong on IR, governance and CSR
- Upstream companies score very poorly for media and for the use of social media
- More than three quarters of oil and gas companies fail to explain their business model or investment proposition
- On their corporate website, 47% link to one or more social account (used in part for IR or corporate communications). 36% of companies link to Twitter; 34% to LinkedIn; and 32% to YouTube
- Over a third of companies provide no email address or telephone number of a media spokesperson
- Only 10% of oil & gas companies offer an interactive tool, allowing investors to examine key financial or production data
Marcus Fergusson, Investis’ Research Director, said: “The demands of customers and investors are forcing companies to take their digital communications more seriously. We fully appreciate that some companies will embrace the new tools faster than others. The goal of Investis sector reports is to help businesses benchmark the impact and effectiveness of their digital corporate communications. Today’s Oil & Gas report provides companies in these sectors with a degree of insight that has not previously been available and should help the whole industry to engage more effectively with their stakeholders.”
For further information please visit www.investis.com or contact:
Research Director, Investis
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7038 9126
Paul Durman/Simon Compton
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7250 1446
Investis Ltd., is an international digital corporate communications and investor relations company which works with approximately 1,900 clients from offices in six countries. The companies it serves include more than 70% of the constituents of the FTSE 100 and more than 150 US clients. Founded in 2000, Investis helps clients manage their corporate communications and investor relations through corporate websites, IR webhosting, social media, apps & mobile, video and webcasting, website tools and online reporting.